Windy Twilley

Yarn keeps me from opening fire.

12.06.2006

Handel's Messiah


Last night our church hosted a "Messiah" sing-along with the Tallahassee Music Guild. We had a chamber orchestra and professional soloists, but the audience performed as the choir.

I've been singing since I was little, and I've never experienced anything quite like it. It was like a full dress rehearsal with no pressure. We made music out of love, and joy. We weren't performing for anyone but ourselves. It certainly wasn't the most accurate rendition of Handel ever done, but it was good enough to make me happy. I sang the full "Messiah" once, ten years ago, but managed to remember most of the choruses.

Except the "Amen." Woof.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

We did that last night too! The guy who conducts it at UVA has been doing it for 39 consecutive years; at some points people came from as far away as New York to be in the audience/choir. What an amazing feeling of joy in singing, for nobody but ourselves. Glad you thought so too.

5:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

For 3 (4?) years now I have played in the orchestra for a Messiah sing-along in Seattle. My in-laws do the singing, but I much prefer sitting on my butt and violin-ing :)

Merry Christmas, dear!

11:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home